About this blog

My favorite recipes - some are mine, some from friends, and some I've found and just admired. Oh and see the ladies above? The cute chick second from left named Mildred is the lady who helped me learn to cook -- my mom.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Vegetarian Risotto from Cooking with Madeline


During the 1990's I used to love learning to cook from watching a show called Cooking With Madeline. The star of the show, Madeline Kamman, was a sweet little French lady who loved to tell little stories as she taught her audience how to cook. I found her enchanting and from her I learned how to make perfect risotto. If you follow these directions, you can make perfect risotto, too.  You can make it just this way, with vegetables, or you can add other things, like lobster or crabmeat or different kinds of vegetables, as you wish.  

This recipe is one I reserve for special friends and family members, and I share it with you. It takes time on the stove top - around 30 minutes - and you need to attend to it all the time. You cannot walk away and do something else. It is a work of love. Here it is, as I copied it from the show while she spoke.
**********************
Chop 1 onion very fine. Saute it in butter (I used around 4 Tb. and a cast iron fry pan). Put 1 cup ARBORIO rice in and saute til rice turns white (hardens). Do NOT brown the rice.  

Keeping the heat turned down to just a simmer, add 4 1/2 cups chicken stock a little at a time, in about 4-5 parts, allowing each part of the liquid to be absorbed fully into the rice before adding the next part.  Stir throughout this process.  The rice will become sticky and glutinous. It should not be firm to the tooth when it is done, nor should it be overcooked.

Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Thinly slice 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash, seeded, along with 1/2 cup baby green peas.  Saute lightly. 

Mix vegetables and rice in serving bowl. 

Put rice/vegetable mixture into individual bowls and top with parmesan cheese.  Bon appetit!!


No comments:

Post a Comment